Football sim takes its inevitable seat at No.1
The final UK Charts of 2020 have been released, and see Electronic Arts’ football sim FIFA 21 sitting pretty at number one, just missing out on the coveted Christmas Number One position by a mere week. That title belongs to Ubisoft’s viking adventure Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.
Understandably, much of the Top Ten is occupied by December’s big sellers, such as Activision’s Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, Sony’s Spider-Man Miles Morales, CDPR’s Cyberpunk 2077, and Ubisoft’s perennial Holiday success Just Dance 2021. Nintendo is represented by Switch releases Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Super Mario 3D All-Stars, with the Switch port of the iconic Minecraft rounding out the Top Ten.
2020 has seen physical sales down on all major releases, even from some of the most reputable and reliable franchises. As the industry prepares for another year of uncertainty – along with a brand new generation of gaming consoles – it’s an inarguable inevitability that video game buyers will continue to push toward digital purchases into 2021 and beyond.
U.K. video game sales chart w/e: December 26, 2020
(Chart reflects in-store physical sales only)
1. FIFA 21 – Electronic Arts
2. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – Ubisoft
3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Nintendo
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Nintendo
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War – Activision
6. Spider-Man: Miles Morales – Sony Interactive Entertainment
7. Just Dance 2021 – Ubisoft
8. Cyberpunk 2077 – CD Projekt RED
9. Super Mario 3D All-Stars – Nintendo
10. Minecraft – Nintendo
U.K. video game charts [GamesIndustry.biz]